THE OMNI-FRIEND by jamie robison

The Lord confides
in those who fear him. 
Psalm 25:14 


We ask many things of the Lord. Sometimes, without realizing it our prayer life with God becomes a one-way service rather than a two-way conversation. We come to Him and ask for healing, for answers, for help in desperate situations. We cry out on behalf of others, on behalf of the world. We become better distant intercessors in prayer than we do sons and daughters of our heavenly Father.

If we have depth of relationship with the Lord, however, we also confide in Him amidst the asking. We simply share the depths of our hearts for the sake of expressing ourselves to the one who knows us most intimately. We respect the relational nature that He instilled in our spirits, the joint participation and communion together—the desire for Koinonia (κοινωνία).

There is a balance between communing with God as a friend and fearing Him as the Almighty. Yet at the same time, they go hand in hand in our ability to know Him more fully. Fearing and revering the Lord also expands our perspective and makes our hearts receptive to a greater wisdom and knowledge. 
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. - Proverbs 9:10
When I humbly confide and dwell in the Lord, and at the same time wrestle with the fear and wonder of realizing His greatness, the Holy One has room to confide in me—to reveal a little more of Himself, a little more of His unfolding story for me.  

The omnipotent One.
The omniscient One.
The omnipresent One.

He is my friend, the Almighty, and yet he confides in me. And when my heart is humble and ready to listen, I am able to gain wisdom and understanding. 

I recall a recent part of my story that the Lord felt so impossibly big, and yet so intimately close at the same time. Through a dream, He had whispered and given me a vision, and over the next few weeks, it seemed that everyone around me echoed the same whisper, as if to ensure I had heard it right. Life group leaders, Pastor Randy's messages, random friends that I had been reconnected with, scriptures shared with me. It was like the entire breadth and variant textures of an orchestra playing the same melody line in unison. It was undeniable. And though it was the start to a very trying time, it was the start to a deeper understanding than I ever thought possible, and a greater well of wisdom than I ever thought I could hold. 

I treasure the balance and want to always be receptive to the whisper of my Almighty friend. 

We ask many things of the Lord. I am no exception. But may the greatest thing I ask be echoed from Psalm 27:4:


One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all my days, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. 

Jamie
jrobison@b4church.org


No comments:

Post a Comment