TAKE YOUR PLACE by debrianna cabitac

When I lived in my first apartment, I remember the dreadful spirit that came with guests coming over to the house. I would have to make everything perfectly spotless, cook the most beautiful meal, and put on my nicest clothes. “It’s so they feel at home!” was my defense, but what it really seemed to be was a manufactured image of myself. It was a system in place that said I needed to manipulate everyone’s vision of me so that I was perfect.

How often do we treat Jesus like a guest in our home rather than a friend?

The Lord gave me this picture one day that seemed very significant. I was in the middle of one of the hardest seasons of my life thus far. Surrounded by heartache, pain, and every horrific feeling that comes with being in the dark, I sought Jesus and this is what He showed me.

He was in a home—my home. And the living room was spotless, the kitchen couldn’t hold in an aroma of comfort food, and the table was beautifully set. He walked up the stairs to find all the doors shut. Another set of stairs up was a door with several locks. He began to knock. After a while of knocking He just waited. Finally, I came to unlock the door and inside the dark room was boxes piled high to the ceiling. He said to me, “Let’s build a home here.”




Jesus is gently invasive.
His desire is to have access to every part of our lives.

I wrote this song called "Take Your Place" that talks about this very thing. As I come into this new family, new state, and new home, this is my prayer

Come into every room, every space
Jesus, take your place.

Before, I would often section Jesus to the nicest parts of my heart. But as a true worshiper and friend of Jesus, I cannot just control the places that he sees and doesn’t see. A true friend would say, “What’s yours is mine and what’s mine is yours.” I believe that someone who truly allows God to have free reign to move throughout the home of their heart will watch as he sets all things right. He knows exactly how to interact with your pain, joy, and sadness. He is the perfect homemaker, the most reliable homebuilder.

So what would that look like for you?
What would it look like to allow Jesus into the attic of your heart?
What would happen if you decided to come out of hiding and ask him to search you and know you?
What would happen if the worship songs of invitation we sing were not just things that casually came out of our mouths, but instead a real invitation for him to come and make his home in your heart?

I am so privileged to serve at Beaverton Foursquare in this time and season of the church, I’m sure the opportunity to meet and serve with you all will come soon. My heart is soft and ready to be impacted by the beautiful people in this community and I couldn’t be happier to be here! Thank you for welcoming me in so well!

Debrianna 
dcabitac@b4church.org




No comments:

Post a Comment