TIME TO PLAY by debrianna cabitac

Just when it seemed like weeks were rapidly passing by at work, I received an email that the offices were closing because of the weather conditions. Being born and raised from California, I have never experienced anything like this before! My life has never been stopped or altered by an external circumstance. Like many things in my life right now, this was yet another “first”.

The day started with a bunch of admin work that needed to get done and I was ready to take the whole day to do them. Within the next couple hours, the work was done. I didn’t have a thing left to catch up on, couldn’t go into the office, so I just started thinking. I had not had a moment in the middle of my week to just sit and process in a long time so I was quite honestly grateful for the space.

Being a Perfectionist (a number 1 on the Enneagram), I am constantly looking for an area of improvement because I cannot stand things being unfinished or subpar. I’m rarely content in the present, and I am always looking to the future. I am very much a doer and I have a lot of issues just simply being. I found myself quickly filled with anxiety as I looked at the present imperfections and the unknown that lied ahead. 

Questioning my purpose, significance, and life trajectory were of course the things that immediately came to mind and there I was, completely and utterly cornered by the fear of the future once again.

The day went on and I carried my heaviness with me. And then I looked outside as I was driving home from dinner with a friend and the snow was falling heavier and heavier. We got back to the house and there were yards and yards of untouched snow. Everything in me immediately new it was time to play.

How often do we get completely bogged down by life’s heaviness? Sure, most of the time there is a reason we think through those things. But honestly, it seems like a lot of the things we worry about stem from the need to know and the need to be in control of our lives. When we were kids we ran to play, and now that we are adults, we run to worry. We miss the present moment that is full of God because we are caught up in the daily mundane tasks, the heavy storm we are experiencing, and the anxieties of what lies ahead.

My housemates and I began to build a snowman, throw snowballs, and eat the snow off the ground. Minute by minute the heaviness began to fall off of me. I became truly present to the people around me and saw that the moment right in front of me was absolutely perfect. As we came back into the house, I retreated away into my bedroom and was able to revisit all those questions with clarity, kindness and grace.

What if play, pleasure, and lightness is key to understanding the heaviest questions we bare? What if just being with God, enjoying his creation, and loving the people he has placed in our lives is a path that will lead us to carrying the yoke of Jesus?
His yoke is easy 
and His burden is light.

There are obviously seasons that seem heavier than most, but if play is a regular rhythm of our lives where we enjoy the space God gives us to the fullest, we might receive a glimpse of his true, unhindered joy. I want to be like little children that helplessly rely on their mother and father for everything, and trust that all things will be taken cared of. I strive to be someone that can have hands open so wide that I can continually empty myself of the things that cause anxiety and worry.

Where are the areas in your life that you need to set aside for a couple minutes so that you can breathe and enjoy the present moment? 

Be courageous enough to trust that the Lord has you, and allow yourself to be like a little kid that is filled with wonder and excitement to see what is right in front of you. Be brave enough to fill the space of your life with gratitude and life rather than numbing yourself with worry and death. 

Jesus is the God With Us, so let our eyes be fixed ever on him rather than the things that take us away from him. Let’s be people that don’t just do things for God, but people who can be with God and enjoy him as if he were our closest friend.





Debrianna 
dcabitac@b4church.org



No comments:

Post a Comment