WITH LOOSE HANDS by brent mills

We celebrated Easter last weekend at the church, and I tend to be a little nostalgic when Resurrection Sunday comes around each year. This was the 14th year I’ve had the privilege to be involved in Easter services at Beaverton Foursquare, and most of them have involved something special in how we’ve planned the music and worship. Over the years, we have invited special musical guests, conducted a full orchestra, and explored numerous creative ways to present the Gospel message in sight and sound.

This year, Easter marked the deadline for the completion of a major remodel project in our church sanctuary. We started the design process nearly a year ago, and the construction work was underway at the beginning of 2018. We had a great team working to improve our space and our technology, move our baptism tank to the front of the platform, and replace our tired and worn flooring and seating. As with most remodel projects, there was a “mad dash to the finish line”, and our construction team worked nearly 24 hours a day the last couple weeks to get everything done. Needless, to say, it was a great joy to see the room filled with people worshiping and celebrating Jesus on Easter weekend.

I’ve had annual tradition these past 14 years at Easter. The day before have our music rehearsals and put the finishing touches on the service, I find a few quiet moments in the sanctuary when no one is around, and I have a private conversation with God. I get down on my knees, and I “resign” my job. No one else hears, but I’ve always felt there is something sacred about these moments each year when I let the Lord know I’m willing to step aside from my role if He needs to move in a new direction..

My conversation usually sounds something like, “Lord, thank you for the opportunity to serve you and be part of what You are doing in this community and this church. I love this place. I recognize this is Your work, and if this Easter service is the last thing I get to be part of, I will be ok with that. If you want me to keep serving, then I’m all in. I will go wherever You send me.”

For me, it’s easy to wrap my heart and emotions around something I’ve put a lot of effort into. This Easter was particularly demanding, as the remodel project was my primary focus the past 4 months. Personally, I was proud of the project, and I know myself well enough to know I could easily become proud because of the project. It wasn’t easy for me to kneel before God backstage and release my grip. I was hopeful the Lord wasn’t going to accept my “resignation” (He hasn’t yet in 14 years), but I wanted words of surrender to come out of my mouth. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t making an idol out of a space, especially when the space was built to facilitate worship of God.

The item I needed to hold loosely this Easter was a room in a church, but I’ve had to release many things over the years. It’s very easy to find ourselves holding too tightly to a number of different things … projects we’ve poured time and energy into, people we love very much, even places of serving or ministry. I never want to get so wrapped up in these things that I lose focus on Who and Why I am serving.  I also want to make sure I’m not an obstacle to God doing something new in the opportunities, relationships, and resources He has put in my path.

One day, God will accept my prayer of resignation, and when He does, I sincerely hope I’ll have the faith to move forward with joyful trust in whatever He has for me in the next season.

Thanks for joining the worship journey,

Brent
bmills@b4church.org

No comments:

Post a Comment